Sonera moves its customers’ e-mails to Finland

Sonera upgrades its e-mail system and moves its customers’ e-mail services back to Finland at the end of April. At present, the servers are running on TeliaSonera’s shared e-mail platform in Sweden. Later this spring, the size of Sonera’s mailboxes will be increased tenfold in response to customer wishes.

“We decided to move Sonera’s e-mail services back to Finland in order to protect the privacy of our Finnish customers. After the migration, e-mails sent from one Finn to another will not cross Finland’s borders at any stage. At the same time, we were able to modernize our entire e-mail environment, thanks to which we are now better prepared for various types of failures,” says Juha-Pekka Weckström, Senior Vice President of TeliaSonera Broadband Services Finland.

The removal is driven by the Swedish government’s proposed law which would allow the National Defence Radio Establishment to intercept all electronic communications passing the national border.

The migration which takes place in April will be performed on a weekend to minimize user inconvenience. Sonera will inform its customers about the exact schedule by email later this month. In total, the number of email boxes to be transferred is approximately 500,000 of which 450,000 are used by private customers and 50,000 by business customers. For Sonera’s private broadband customers, the e-mail service is available at no charge.

Increased mailbox size

Later this spring, Sonera will increase the size of its private customers’ e-mail boxes in response to customer wishes. The standard mailbox size will be 500 MB, and an additional 500 MB is available for an extra charge. Those with a separately purchased communications package will have a mailbox size of 3 GB, which can also be upgraded by 500 MB for a fee. Sonera’s broadband customers can create up to 5 mailboxes free of charge. Customers´ e-mail addresses remain unchanged.

Further information:
Juha-Pekka Weckström, Senior Vice President, Broadband Services Finland
Tel.: +358 400 564 754
E-mail: firstname.lastname@teliasonera.com

Comments

1. Jouko Aavikko

30 December 2013 22:09
    Hello

I didn't get answer about the amount of the pp.sonera.net users. However are we less valuable as your customers, if we are a smaller group. Also the cost for moving a small amount of customers into another E-mail box is smaller than transfer a bigger group.

I hope to be handled as an individual and not as a group of people. I have found several firms in Finland, which have weakened the customer service and after one or two years their profitability also has dropped.

I hope that you can show our discussions also to your superiors and discuss also inside the house, are the costs for keeping at least one mailbox for all your customers too high compared to the fear to lose the trust of the existing customers.

For me an unknown reason I can send my answers only by Goole Chrom browser and not with Interver Explorer 9.

Yours Jouko Aavikko
  2. Katarina / TeliaSonera Web Team

30 December 2013 15:15
    Hello Jouko,
    Thank you for your answer and suggestions. Unfortunately the email migration is not possible to carry out within the closing period of the mobile customers email service. Out of all our email users, the share of mobile mail customers is relatively small and very few of these mailboxes are in active use. We are sorry for all the possible inconvenience this process might cause.
  3. Katarina / TeliaSonera Web Team

30 December 2013 15:12
    Hello Jouko,
  4. Jouko Aavikko

27 December 2013 19:55
    Thanks for your answer

You told in your message 30 April 2011 that there were then about 500 000 E-mail boxes. I think that this is a quite big amount. Probably they were fixed line (inet?) customers, but how many mobile pp.sonera.net customers you have at this moment?

I ordered my Sonera mobile broadband in spring 2012. I was very pleased, when I could acquire a Finnish (safe?) mailbox for my personal correspondence. After that I have given my pp.sonera.net address into several different kind of enterprises and societies. It means that I must remember all those firms and go to their web pages to change my pp.sonera address to a new address. I am quite sure that I'll forget to change some of these addresses and will lose my contact to them.

If I understand that you'll still keep the inet box for fixed line customers. I think that a cheap solution (especially because the amount of pp.sonera.net customers is quite small) could be to join also the mobile broadband customers to the inet box. For a transfer period eg. one year it could be possible to send mails into inet box with the old pp.sonera alias address. The system could add to those messages an announce, that they have been sent to he old address.

I think that saving Sonera mailbox could keep your mobile broadband customers more faithful and prevent the customers to look what your competitors will serve.

Yours Jouko Aavikko
  5. Katarina / TeliaSonera Web Team

27 December 2013 12:31
    Hi,
    Sonera’s email service for mobile customers is decided to be closed on February 2014. The service has had only few active users and time has taken its toll also when it comes to its features. The email service would require an update, but this would also mean putting a price tag for the service. According to customer research the customers are not eager to pay for the email especially for there are lots of free of charge emails available online. Unfortunately at this moment Sonera doesn’t offer any alternative email service except as a part a Sonera’s fixed broadband connection.
  6. Jouko aavikko

26 December 2013 20:52
    Now Sonera wants to end the E-mail service for mobile broadband customers in February 2014.
    Why???